This town was formerly the largest barrio of San Juan, then known as Himatagon. A densely populated barrio, it was a good port. It is situated in the Pacific coast and the first town from the mountain road from the eastern part of Sogod Bay, a cleaved southern part of the province.
On December 9, 1954 , President Ramon Magsaysay issued Executive Order No. 84, converting the barrio to the municipality of Saint Bernard. It was through the efforts of Leyte Governor Bernardo Torres that the conversion was made possible in response to the lingering clamour of the inhabitants for an independent and separate municipality from San Juan(Cabalian).