The name Pintuyan had been derived from a name of a native, “Pintoy”, who grew abundant lemon trees. Its juices, used for hair fragrance and shampoo which was yearned for by women. The lemon fruit gave origin to the town’s name, Pintuyan, meaning the fruit was obtained at Pintoy’s place.
Pintuyan was established in 1865. During the American regime, the seat of Pintuyan was moved to Pintuyan from San Ricardo upon the election of Perfecto Vazquez as Municipal President. From then on the residents of barrio San Ricardo petitioned for a separate municipality.