Roads and Bridges

The Province of Southern Leyte has an existing road network of 1,769.6058 kilometers. It consists of three major arterial highways that link the province to the Province of Leyte. There are three major outlets of these arterial highways: the Maasin–Matalom Road on the west, the Sogod–Mahaplag Road through the Maharlika Highway on the north, and the Silago–Abuyog route in the east.

As of 2010, national roads stretched to 283.8160 kilometers, equivalent to 17.93 percent of the total road network. Of this figure, 266.356 kilometers, or 94 percent, were already concrete paved. The remaining 17.460 kilometers (6 percent) were gravel roads. These were located in San Ricardo and Silago Abuyog road sections.

Total provincial road length was 377.4090 kilometers, of which 52.239 kilometers (13.84 percent) were concrete paved, 312.890 kilometers (82.91 percent) were gravel roads, and 12.280 kilometers (3.25 percent) were earth roads. These provincial roads, maintained by the provincial government, were mostly located in the agricultural areas of Southern Leyte. These provided internal access not only to the production areas of agricultural crops but also to the tourism destinations all over the province. More importantly, people living in the hinterlands and far-flung barangays could already access basic services through these roads.

Approximately 120.1903 kilometers of municipal roads were being maintained by the LGUs; 60.5783 kilometers were already concrete paved, 33.9090 kilometers were gravel roads, and 25.7030 kilometers were earth roads.

The total length of barangay roads province wide was recorded at 988.19 kilometers.  Majority of these were gravel roads with a total length of 399.47 kilometers. Some portions, with a total length of 154.41 kilometers, were concrete paved. Earth road accounted to 434.20 kms., while surface drainage got the remaining share of 0.10 kilometers. 

These road networks are connected by 152 bridges with 5,462.89 linear meters length administered by the national government through the DPWH, and 53 bridges with 843.70 linear meters length administered by the provincial government through the Provincial Engineer’s Office (PEO).


In Southern Leyte, 3 national and 10 municipal ports serve the needs of the commuters in the province. A newly opened roro port in Benit, San Ricardo is classified as a national port. 


Currently, the Province of Southern Leyte has only one airport located at Panan-awan, Maasin City. Important structures such as 1.2 km. and 30 meters wide concrete runway had already been constructed with barbwire perimeter fence, steel gate, and waiting shed. This airport is intended to serve light to heavy commercial flights bound for Cebu, Manila, and other provinces. There is a big potential for business opportunities and investments, including tourism, to boost in the province once this airport becomes operational. This airport is already serving training planes of aviation schools and light aircrafts.

Southern Leyte could be accessed by air via these routes:

  • Ninoy International Airport to Tacloban Airport then four hours van ride to Maasin City.
  • Ninoy International Airport to Mactan International Airport, then 30 minutes vehicle ride to Cebu port and 6 hours slow boat ride to Maasin City port, or 5 hours slow boat ride to Hilongos port then 30 minutes vehicle ride to Maasin City.
  • Seven bus terminals are located in seven municipalities in the province. The Liloan Ferry Terminal is one of the best terminals in Southern Leyte. It has a terminal building, parking area, and restaurant, with basic facilities that provide safety and comfort to the commuters and to the private operators and drivers. 

Bus Terminals

The newly opened Integrated Bus Terminal in Maasin City serves as the service point of three major groups of public vehicles operating in Maasin. The first group is the passenger jeepneys serving the interior barangays of the city. The second group is the Maasin-based jeepneys and buses serving commuters to and from the municipalities in Southern Leyte, the Municipality of Bato, and the cities of Ormoc and Tacloban in Leyte Province. The third group is the big buses plying the Davao and Pasay routes. These vehicles are not based in Maasin but use the city terminal as a major service point. The presence of this terminal has facilitated the mobility of commuters and the public utility vehicles, and decongested traffic in the central business center of the city.