The ancient name of this town was Tamolayag, a corruption of “Tana Molayag”(lets sail) the alarm to cross the sea to Panaon into the safety of the jungles to escape from the plundering Moro Pirates. The pirates were observed from a tower built for the purpose.

Once a barrio of Malitbog, it became a municipality by Executive Order No. 265 issued by President Carlos P. Garcia on October 23, 1957 and proclaimed by Leyte Governor Bernardo Torres.