Created as a municipality on June 11, 1978 by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 1549, issued by then President Ferdinand E. Marcos and acting on the petition of the inhabitants of the island. The decree was sought for repeal but it was adroitly archived. When President Corazon C. Aquino took over the reigns of the government, she ordered a plebiscite in 1989 in Padre Burgos. It resulted in the affirmative votes to implement the Marcos Decree. Limasawa officially became a municipality on August 27, 1989.
Limasawa is historic in that the first Christian Mass in the Far East was celebrated in this island on March 31, 1521 by Ferdinand Magellan.
In 1994, President Fidel V. Ramos approved Republic Act No. 7822 declaring Limasawa as a Tourist Zone in 1994.
On March 1, 1994, National Historical Institute Chairman and Executive Director Serafin D. Quiazon informed that it upholds Limasawa as the site of First Mass representing “more credible possibility until a controversible evidence to the contrary is established.”