In 1521, Magellan recorded sighting Hinunaghan (Hinunangan) during the voyage in Leyte Gulf. As far back in 1750 Hinunangan was a mid-way station of Boholanos trading in Eastern Leyte. They rested overnight at the mouth of Das-ay river where they morr their boats. A shelter was built for the crews and tenders, known as “Hononganan” stopover. Thus the name.
In 1822, a certain Boholano named Palonoy founded Hinunangan. At this time Silago of the North and Hinundayan and Anahawan on the south were part of Hinunangan.